Monday, November 28, 2011

The Right Mix

I don't think I've bought a sherry in a bar for many, many years. No, now I come to think of it, I don't think I've ever bought a glass of sherry. At least not for myself anyway. This was, however, the least unpleasant Spanish drink on the list and I needed to sink it to claim my exclusive Windy mug. I washed it down with a French brandy and a Scottish alcoholic ginger beer.
Friday 25th November heralded the first Windy 500 social event and charity fund raiser. Down at the Weymouth Police bar, armed with a large collection of merchandise kindly provided by Sean, my daughters fiancĂ©, I sat myself at a desk and sold the unfortunate punters a 'Spooky's European Tour' passport, kindly designed and produced by Jim, my stepfather and member of team 6. The passport listed 10 countries and 3 drinks from each country. The idea was that by consuming a drink from each country and having your passport duly stamped, you could complete the tour and acquire a much sought after Windy mug. There was a fair bit of whining about the less popular drinks on the list, but I really don't know what they were whining about. There were non alcoholic options available, which by and large were ignored.
In attendance we had Mark and Richard from team 19, Marc and Roy from team 12, Robbie and Ken of team 9, Lee from team 7, Garry and Ian from team 3, Tom and Chris from team 39 and Oz from team 15, who appeared to have brought the entire contents of the Kings Arms. Along with Lucy, the other member of team 6 and of course Jo, my wife and Sean, my son and fellow co-pilots on team 38, not a bad turn out. There were also another two and a half potential teams giving the whole driving event thing some deep contemplation.
Oz had been drinking by the time I held the auction. Actually, I think we all had, but Oz was  on a drinking and shopping roll. He wasn't going to be beaten in the auction and went up to £90 for some rugby tickets. He also bought a Jack Daniels hat for a ridiculous £10 whilst his wife Paula made the most of his inebriation to do some Christmas shopping for Windy 500 polo shirts and hoodys.
Chris won a bottle of vodka in the raffle. I don't think much of it made it's way out of the bar. It's a good job he wasn't carrying it home as he apparently fell in a bush on route.
All in all, a great night. £342 raised for the charity, which I thought was an excellent start. My team needed to raise a minimum of £100. I'm still keen on pushing on beyond £1000. Really shouldn't be a problem.
In other news, our VW van is now being worked on (thanks Jamie) and could be roadworthy in the not too distant future. Bring on the summer ! Got to try the new wagon out.
The Windy 500 clothing line has also been launched and the first order of t-shirts, polo shirts and hoodys will be in by the end of the week. Should be ready in time for Christmas.
Welcome aboard teams 2, 10, 41 and 49 this week. All is going swimmingly !
 

No comments:

Post a Comment