Monday, June 17, 2013

The Unhinged Traveller

We were having a lazy start to the day. Lucas and his grandma had an afternoon flight from Hannover and Jo's friend Pam was kindly dropping them off but they didn't want to get to the airport too early. Other teams had got going as soon as the barrier opened at 7, but we were soaking up the early sunshine and drinking tea. 
I went to put the pop top down and heard some creaking noises. You come to expect it with the old girl. It was only when I went to secure the top buckles that I realised the roof was unaligned. A quick trip around to the hinge side revealed the problem. Rust. Two of the hinges had just rotted and were no longer attached to the van. 
Oh joy. I think we have problems. 
I scrabbled around in the van and used all my ingenuity to find a clothes line and gaffer tape. With Pam's assistance we tied the front down as best we could then she gaffer taped the front to stop the wind lifting it. I've got to say her army training has made her a great gaffer taper. 
So, the niggly problems have started for a few teams. The electrical issues for Team Newlywed and the fuel tank issues of Team Freedomscaping (I do prefer the name Team Mobile Brothel but Marc gets narky). 
So, we are back on the road heading to Prague. Just the two of us now. My main concern now is that if I don't get the roof fixed, I'll be forced to share a double bed with Eileen next week and Evil Kev the week after. My heart is sinking at the prospect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment